Saturday, February 14, 2015

Moritake


The following poem by 14 century Japanese poet, Arakida Moritake (1473-1549) is probably a very familiar haiku.  Of course there are probably better translations, but this was the first haiku I ever read.  I was about in fourth grade.  It impressed me enough to copy it in my journal.  I did however only know the last name which I misspelled as Miritake.   I never was able to find another of his poems until the internet suggested the correct search.   This and another  rhyming poem about fall inspired me to start writing poetry.  I poured my nine years of experience into writing a sappy poem about falling leaves.  I don't remember more than  ... changing leaves, come falling down, red, golden, orange, and brown.  Anyway, I do remember that poem being put up by itself on the bulletin board.  I was overly proud, and declared myself a poet from then on.




a falling petal
drops upward back to the branch
it's a butterfly
Moritake


No comments:

Post a Comment